Thursday, March 13, 2008

Making Friends

So yesterday my cute Izzy and I had to go and get my drivers license renewed. When we got there Izzy noticed these two little girls playing with each other and says to me, "Mom, it's my friends"(she's in this stage where all little kids are "her friends" even if she has never seen them. I think this might come from preschool where I call all the kids her friends) so I told her that it was okay to go over and play with them. She got off her chair and got a little timid, she started walking over to them but kept looking over her shoulder back at me until finally she turned around and came back. I told her it was okay and that she just needed to go say, "Hi, I'm Izzy", so she turned back and made it all the way to them but when she got there she didn't really say anything and the little girls didn't notice her. She came running back and said, "Mom, them aren't saying hi to me". So I told her to try again, she did and they still didn't notice her. She came back and told me they weren't saying hi again so I told her that she could come back and sit with me or she could just go start running around with them. She really went for it and just started running and chasing these two little girls, then all of them started running and giggling and having lots of fun. As she was running she comes back over to me and exclaims, "Mom! Them are saying hi to me!" It was seriously the happiest I have ever seen her, she was so excited that these little girls had started to play with her. At this point everyone at the DMV was just totally in love with her and were so happy that it all worked out, it was so cute.
This whole cute experience made me feel a little anxious about the future, Izzy is so loving and kind, she wants to play with everyone and just loves people. The whole time she was trying to get these girls to notice her I was just holding my breath thinking, "please be nice to her and let her play". It worries me that someday kids won't be nice to her or will hurt her feelings and that breaks my heart. I just don't want to be that crazy mom that doesn't ever let her kid venture out because I'm scared someone will hurt her feelings. Parenting a toddler is so weird, I hope I'm able to chill out so that when she's a teenager I'm not that mom that calls other moms and gets mad at them because their kid was mean(this actually happened when I was a teenager). I hope to just instill in Izzy the confidence that she is wonderful and amazing even if some little girl at Costco does stick her tongue out at her :)

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't relate at all to motherhood, but I do know that Izzy is the sweetest little girl ever. That story was so cute. I'm glad that the other little girls were nice to her.

Megan said...

Cute story! Izzy sounds like the sweetest little thing:) Sometimes it scares me too, to think about how Aubrey will grow and the type of personality she'll have. Will it be hard for her to make friends? Will other kids be nice to her? I think the fact that you were helping Izzy show some independence and confidence in herself (despite your nervousness that the girls wouldn't play with her) is a testiment to your awesome mothering skills! It sounded like a great teaching moment!

John + Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John + Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John + Bethany said...

I loved this story, and I can just hear Izzy and her cute little voice. I think you did the right thing in encouraging her and you're right, some day someone might hurt her feelings, but I think she is tough and won't let it get her down.

Try to enjoy parenting her as a toddler now...don't sweat the small stuff and I think you will do just fine when it comes time to handle some of the big stuff. You are a great mommy and Izzy is lucky to have you!

I had to delete my comments before because noticed some typos so I just decided to re-post. :-)

Eliza said...

Paul and I were talking the other day about how people were really rather cruel to him in junior high because he was SOOO short ... and then I started feeling so nervous for Peter. It's likely he'll be pretty short too and it breaks my heart to think that he may encounter cruel junior high kids too someday. Even just thinking about the possibility was making my mother bear instinct come out!

I think there is a fine line sometimes with stuff like that. But Izzy has an extrodinary mother, and while some days Izzy might lack confidence, overall I think she'll be pretty amazing because she's had you and the unconditional love and support of both her parents!

p.s. I think you should post some cute pregnant belly pictures soon! Who doesn't love a pregnant belly?!