Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Feeling Guilty Much?















So Today I had a follow-up appointment with Lucy's Dr. to make sure she was doing okay. Everything was fine, aside from some residual gunk in her lungs and ears that should clear up soon. For those of you that have been concerned, she does not have swine flu. Anyways, we talked a lot about how Lucy is sick all the time, she is constantly battling a cold, ear infection, sinus infection, you name it. The Dr. then proceeds to tell me about antibodies and all this medical mumbo jumbo and that he thinks Lucy just does not have the immunities she needs to fight off respiratory illnesses but will probably develop them by the time she is 5 or 6. So this is going to be an ongoing problem, he even suggested I buy some surgical masks for our house. He basically said that if something is going around, she will get it. So while driving home all I could think of is what a terrible Mommy I have been to her. Some of you might remember that I only nursed Lucy for 3 months and then quit when I went to the hospital with back spasms. At the time I was thinking that plenty of kids are formula fed and turn out fine, but my kid apparently is not like other kids; I can't help but think that things might have been different if I had nursed her longer. I find it crazy that as mother's we give everything we are to our kids and still seem to find something to feel guilty about.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

Unfortunately feeling a unique and deep amount of guilt can come easily with the role of motherhood, even if it isn't really warranted. But you are a wonderful mother and Lucy is blessed to have you.

My sister Rachael's 1st girl was formula fed and didn't get sick at.all. until she was nearly two years old. Her 2nd girl was 100% nursed and was sick all.the.time. So, it's also a lot to do with the individual child. So, don't be too hard on yourself. {{{HUGS}}}

Rachel said...

Bekah, you are an awesome mom. Eliza's right, every kid is different. We'll just have to be extra careful when we're around Lucy.

John + Bethany said...

I know you can't help it, but don't. There is no way to know if breast feeding her longer would have made a difference. You made the decision you felt right about at the time. You are a great mom and Izzy and Lulu are lucky to have you. You can always resolve to breast feed any future babies until they are 5. :-)

Debi said...

You are such a good mommy. i admire you so much. don't feel guilty.
breastfeeding shmreastfeeding. that's what i say.

Time to Blog It Up! said...

Hey you...just remember one thing....this too shall pass! All is good and you are doing one terrific job, don't be so hard on yourself. Life will always have its ups and downs and it only makes its harder when you beat yourself up over things that can't be changed. Keep smiling and just move forward.