
While trying to put together a lasagna "real quick" (because when is lasagna ever quick) Izzy started in with her regular pre-dinner whining, "I'm hungry", dinner will be ready soon, "I'm bored", go play, "When is Dad coming home?", he'll be here soon, "I wish Dad didn't ever have to work", he has to work so we will have money, "I wish you went to work and Dad got to stay home". Ouch. That hurt. Bad. I wish I could say that I let it slide off my back, that I'm an adult and she is a four year old that doesn't understand how that could hurt her Mom, but I can't. It kind of bummed me out. Granted, I was already done for the day, I was at my wits end with a baby that would not let me put her down, an aching back, a two year old (who needs no explanation), a horrendously messy house, etc, etc, the list could go on. I just can't wait to be fun again. Some days I feel like I'm barely keeping up. I wish I could say that as I reflect on the day I'm fine and I can laugh it off and come away with some sort of wise mommy perspective, but I'm not there yet. So far, the only lesson learned today is that I better get thicker skin because if I'm letting myself get hurt feeling over something my four year old said then I'm in trouble when she's fifteen and I am lame, don't understand her, and trying to ruin her life.
7 comments:
awww, I'm sorry she made you feel bad. Sean gets to be the "fun parent" because he is gone at work most of the day...sucks to be the "mean mommy" but it's worth it in the end (right?). No really, it is!
You are a great mom! Try not to let her get to you...because you are right, the teenage years will probably be a lot harder. You can do it though, you are amazing! :-)
That is sad... I get the same think. Mommy is mean. I just tell her "well I am all you have kid, deal with it!" How is being a mom of 3?
I don't know about you, but being a mom makes me regret any mean or ungrateful action towards my own parents. Sorry about the rough day.
I totally understand. It can be really discouraging to be the one at home all day doing all the disciplining and dirty work, and then watch Aubrey go crazy with excitement when Matt walks in the door at the end of the day. Don't worry about taking it personally. You've been through a lot! Take your time...no one ever said that adjusting to a new baby is easy. You're doing great!
You're with the majority of moms. Rarely do I keep a grand perspective on the kids...more often than whisper, I scream...more often than laugh I'm on the verge of crying...more often than #9 (recent post) I'm stuck in the scrambling of #1-8.
HANG IN THERE.
You have done a huge thing to add #3...to clean up and cook for all of them...to help them EACH day while home with them. They're lucky to have you...unfortunately it will likely be long AFTER the teenage years before any of them realize it.
HANG IN THERE!
I'm sure if it was the other way around than Izzy would take Sean for granted the way she does you. You are a great mom though and she is lucky to have you even though she probably won't realize it until she has three kids of her own. Love you!
It is the other way at our house. My husband and I both work full time hours: Me from 9am-6pm, and hubby from 4am-11am. Essentially I am the working mom, and my hubby is home all day. It breaks my heart when our little guy tells me that he doesn't want me to go to work. He then says that he doesn't want dad to stay at home with him. I guess it's human nature to always want whatever you don't have.
Post a Comment