

So yesterday I wrote my final paper for my last college class ever. Once I printed it out I got this really unexpected feeling of pride, this was it, I had nothing left to finish. I got a little emotional as I thought about my college career, and I started thinking about how relevant the paper was that I had just written; it was for a World Lit. class discussing the third chapter of Virginia Woolf's, A Room of One's Own, it's all about how women were not given the proper tools to become literary geniuses (or intellectual at all for that matter). It made me feel really proud of myself and what I have done all these years; it strengthened my resolve about the importance of what I have accomplished. One of the huge reasons that I kept going to school is to show my daughters the importance of an education and that, as cheesy as it sounds, they can do anything they want if they work hard. I want them to know that education is necessary no matter what they aspire to do, even if it's to be a stay at home mom like their mother. I don't remember the exact statistic but me graduating from college makes Izzy something like eight times more likely to attend college. That's huge to me, that I can make that kind of a difference in my daughter’s future. I just feel really grateful that my girls have so many awesome examples of educated women in their lives; I know it will not go unnoticed. I think women like Woolf would be proud.
6 comments:
I'm so proud of you! It's so exciting and I know how you are feeling. When I walked out of the computer lab after taking my last final, I felt such a range of emotions. I'm proud of you (and me) for sticking with it. Izzy is lucky to have a mom like you. I can't imagine doing everything you have done on top of school...I stress enough just with work and my classes. Yay for graduating!!
CONGRATS!!
My mother and her mother both graduated with bachelors degrees and even when I was little I knew that someday I wanted to do that too... continue and make it a three generational accomplishment and I did even though I knew my ultimate career goal was to be a stay-at-home mother. The glory of God is intelligence, after all as the scriptures say. So, again, congrats... you are an amazing example to Izzy and your little girl who will be here shortly!!
I know that feeling. I had it after I finished my last final at the U. I was walking up through the business loop to my car at the institute parking lot. so many emotions. I couldn't help but think back to my first days at the U and all the experiences since, and I got a little nostalgic and emotional. it was like an end to an era. and the future at that point was so unknown.
it was exciting, and gratifying, and empowering, and a little scary all at the same time.
congratulations!
I'm glad you stuck with it too. Education really is important no matter what path you take in life. That really is the greatest feeling when you finally finish. I just couldn't keep from smiling as I walked away from my last test. You rock and I'm proud of you!
Wouldn't that be funny if I just dropped out of school and became the only one in our family to not graduate from college? Yeah right. But really, its pretty cool that all of us kids will be college gradutates. We are the only ones in the Haney Family to have all the kids graduate. Well I'm not graduated yet, but you know what I mean.
You make me proud. congrats! Let's do lunch.
Post a Comment