Monday, February 23, 2009

What do you think?

(So I was debating if I should post this or not because I didn't want anyone to feel like they were being publicly dissed but I'm pretty interested in the response so I'm going to go ahead-with the disclaimer that I am not trying to publicly diss anyone or their opinions).

Sean and I have the chance to take a sweet vacation to Madrid, Spain in a few weeks and we are so excited. While trying to make arrangements for the girls and where they would stay and who would take care of them while we were gone, I found out that not everyone agreed with us going on a vacation without our girls; the thought had honestly never crossed my mind that it was strange that we were planning a trip without our kids. So I'm just curious, how do other people feel about taking kid free vacations? I'd love to know what some of you think.

15 comments:

Missy said...

Hmmm... I don't have kids yet... so maybe my opinion isn't as valid. But I don't think your children would appreciate Spain. Disneyland yes, Spain no. So go and have fun and hit up Mickey next summer.

Jennie said...

I think it's perfectly fine, especially when opportunities present themselves :) Have fun!

Sarah said...

GO. GO. GO.

In the end you'll miss the girls and they'll miss you. The reunion will be sweet and your efforts/routine more appreciated.

And MADRID is awesome!!! That's where Matt served his mission and we were able to go back (before we had kids) and travel around Spain a bit. If you've got the chance GO see the world!

p.s. why the pict of France? Will you make it up there too?

Taylor Family said...

You guys deserve to go. I don't think it is bad that you are leaving your kids home. Yes I think that it would be hard to leave them but what a fun chance. You guys should go and just spend time together.

Kelli said...

I don't have kids, but I definitely think a trip to Spain sounds like a good kids-free vacation with your significant other. Who doesn't need a break, and are they really going to remember how great Spain is, being so young? I think not. Enjoy, I'm jealous. (by the way, this is Kelli... don't know if I've posted anything before. love you guys, your kids are sure cute.)

Debi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
WendyandGabe said...

Mom and dad come first. That is a valuable lesson to teach your kids.

mary plus vince said...

i say GO!! your cute girls aren't old enough to even appreciate the trip, so it would be silly to pay all that money for a trip they won't remember down the road. yes, it will be hard to be away from them -- but this is a once in a lifetime trip, and you will be able to enjoy it so much more sans kids.

have fun!

Eliza said...

Not only do I not think it's bad, I think it is healthy for a marriage and for kids.

Your cute girls will have a great experience being with other family/friends... their own little adventure.

And then when you are all home together you'll be refreshed and recharged and you'll really appreciate being together again.

Have tons of fun and take lots of pictures to blog about when you get back.

anna jo said...

seriously? people think it's bad to take trips without the kids? I think quality couple time away from kids is absolutely necessary! it's not like you're abandoning them forever. you're going on a vacation. and one they likely wouldn't appreciate at their age. they will have a fun adventure of their own with whoever is tending them. you have to go to spain alone, because hello--romantic! have fun, you two. pete and I are totally jealous.

John + Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
B said...

oh my crap. It is not bad to go on vacation with out your kids. (if you and your hubby went to disney land with out them, them thats would be bad;)) It would prpbobly be good for you guys to have some alone time. and in Europe!!! Don't pass this up!!!

Megan said...

I would do it! For me, once Aubrey was done nursing I really felt like it was time to get away with my husband and recharge for a bit. Granted, we usually only go away for about two nights when we leave her...but I think if you have family close by who can help then you should do it. Going somewhere like Spain is really a once or maybe twice in a lifetime opportunity, and you'll be able to appreciate it much more if you can go just as a couple. Have fun, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You have to do whats right for you!

Emily said...

my two cents: I think it is a great Idea. I am only 5 months prego and I am already planning a crusie without the little one when done you know feeding. I think it is great for couple to just do things alone ( I would not say go for a month)medation in all things. I also think its good for the kids to know that it is ok for them to stay with other people so many parents dont even leave their kids with anyone (even just for a date or their husbands) (its true a lady in my ward) and that is sad to never go on a date. I say go dont fell bad have a great time and bring them back a cute gift they will always remember the time they got to go spend with Family.