Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! A couple of you asked what kind of books I was looking for; I really like to dabble in all genres. I think right now though I'm looking for a book with a good heroine that can inspire me or that I can connect to. I usually like books that have a little depth and are not just a good read (so no romance novels, ha ha). Thanks for all your tips!
8 comments:
Here are some book ideas. You know that this is my passion, so I couldn't help but respond!
Fiction:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel - the story of a boy who gets stuck on a raft with a tiger. This is one of my all time favorites and is great for discussion. I recommend the audio book.
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger -Good discussion book, memorable characters, uplifting and the style reminds me a bit of "To Kill a Mockingbird."
Non-Fiction:
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls - I couldn't put this down!
The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner- part pyschology, part humor, part travel memoir.
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert- travel memoir
Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Gelman
Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder- the biography of a Harvard trained doctor and medical anthropologist who has dedicated his life to serving the impoverished in Haiti. Truly inspirational.
Hope this helps! Happy reading!
P.S. Now that you're out of school you should come join our book club! Marisa and some other people you might know are in it. Let me know and I'll give you details!
Okay so I would totally agree about the book Life of Pi...I loved it also, but for sure get it on audio, you will enjoy it much better. Another great read is Tuesday's with Morrie..I loved reading this one also. I would still would suggest Tending Roses. I will think some more and let you know!
you should read the alchemist, by paulo coelho. it's a quick read. more of a parable, really. but oh so good.
If you're having a hard time getting into your books, Life of Pi might be a little bit hard to start out with. The first 50 pages are a little bit slow, but if you can get past that part the rest is awesome.
I still think we should have a book club. You decide on the book and let me know.
I agree, "Life of Pi" is awesome on audio. The narrator's accent is SO charming!
Thanks for your recent comment, Rebekah. It is comforting to know that prayers are being said for our needs!
As for books...I LOVE to read and seem to always have one half-read. I've read several of the books your friends have listed, and agree with most of the comments. Rather than listing some favorites...if you'll send me your email address (at sarah_d_nelson@yahoo.com) I'll "invite" you to view my "Shelfari" - it's like an online bookshelf for anyone where you can easily see many of my latest reads...and make a shelf of your own. Super easy thing to use and a great way to compare books with friends.
p.s. I've added you to my blog list so that I can keep tabs on your great family. Your girls are adorable. You're leading a great life!
Oh, I just finished a book called A Northern Light. It was awesome. But it looks like you've already gotten a ton of good suggestions!
Whatever. You love romance novels, don't lie.
Post a Comment