Monday, October 6, 2008

I need book ideas!

I love to read; when I was in school I hardly ever had time to read the books that I really wanted to read. Right after I graduated I had Lucy and I've never found time to pick it back up. I've tried over the last couple months but just haven't been excited about reading and I think it's a book choice problem. I need to find a book that I can jump in and love right from the beginning. I know a lot of you are avid readers (Rachel), do you have any good suggestions? I'm really craving that book that will help me fall back in love with reading!

6 comments:

Taylor Family said...

I hope that you don't mind me commenting... I have been reading a series by Joanne Fluke. They are mysteries. The first one is Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. They were good. Really easy and fast to read. There is a whole series of them so they will keep you busy for awhile (if you like them). I am enjoying them. I also just finished a book called The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright. It was good. It is about a husband that writes a letter to his wife every Wednesday. After they die their kids find them. They end up learning a lot about their parents that they didn't know. Let me know what you think.

Time to Blog It Up! said...

I love to read, but before I can reccommend any books for you I would like to know what kind of books you enjoy....mystery, classics, love, etc... One book that I really loved reading is called Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate. It was just very tender and touching. Let me know what you like and maybe I can suggest a few things for you. Tamee

Rachel said...

Well, I am always looking for good books as well. I think if you're really wanting something that you can get into pretty fast you should read some young adult fiction. I think I probably enjoy reading young adult books the most because they're just plain fun. Anything by Shannon Hale is super cute and fun to read, I recommend reading "the Goose Girl". You should also read "The secret life of Bees," by Sue Monk Kidd. That book is one of my favorites (and the movie is being made too). If you haven't read the Harry Potter series yet, you totally should. Each book is a new mystery and they have a lot of comedy and are really fun to read. Way better than the movies. I also recently read "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak which is not young adult but I thought it was absolutely captivating. I'll try to think of some other ones.

Kayla said...

I second the Secret Life of Bees.

anna jo said...

what genre are you looking for?

Missy said...

Here's a couple that I have read lately and loved:
The Glass Castle - about a little girl growing up with her wild hippie homeless family. It is written in a really entertaining way.
Poisonwood Bible - One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE books about Africa.
The Red Tent - the story of Jacob from a female perspective. Very interesting!
If you are into fantasy stuff, Harry Potter is great, and the Twilight series is really big right now.
Anyway. I personally didn't really love "Secret Life of Bees", but "The Book Thief" was fascinating.
Good luck finding a book and happy reading!